Blogroll

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Unbreakable Bond Chapter 3 - The Trip to La Push



Chapter 3 - The Trip to La Push
We had all our bags packed and in the car and headed towards the airport. When we got there, we checked our bags and waited twenty minutes for our flight to board, then we were finally on the plane and taking off.

The flight wasn’t too bad, Alex was still mad at us for making her come and she was giving us the silent treatment. Other than that, Steve and I sat there talking about the reservation and who he would get to meet.

When I got to talking about Sam and Emily, he hugged me. He knew what happened between all of us. I had explained that whole mess to him in the beginning of our relationship. I wanted him to know that I was broken…and now, he had fixed me. He had told me at the time, that he couldn’t understand how I had forgiven my cousin for it.

I told him she was family and she had tried not to fall in love with Sam, it just happened. I also told him that I was okay now that I had him and I was in love with him. I told him this every time he mentioned it, and today was no different. By the time the we were half way there, Alex was asleep. I smiled over at her and Steve caught me.

“You really love her don’t you?” He asked.

“Yeah, I do, like she was my own daughter,” I told him. He smiled at me then kissed me with the passion that would have set the plane on fire, but I had to stop it. We were getting ready to land soon.

“She is your’s Leah,” he told me.



“It feels like it. I can’t believe how serious she is about Taylor, she’s only ten,” I told him. He just frowned and rolled his eyes. I guess he saw it too.

“Her mother was like that, once she cared about someone, she was really attached. It got her mom hurt a lot along the way. I actually loved that part of her - the part that could love you with so much attachment. She did it like she was unbreakable, like nothing could stop her love for that person. She was like that almost all her life,” he told me. I reached over and kissed him again. I hated the look in his eyes when he talked about Kasie, but I understood it. So I tried to comfort him as much as I could.

Within the next twenty minutes, we were in the airport in Port Angeles. We got into our rental car and headed towards the La Push.

It was a two hour trip to make it to La Push and onto the reservation. Man, I didn’t realize how much I missed this place, even with all the bad memories it held for me. I passed Sam and Emily’s house to get to my moms and for once it didn’t hurt to look at it. I was surprised with myself at that realization. I had thought that pain would never go away, that I would die knowing he was happy and I wasn’t.

I looked over at Steve and realized just how happy I was. I looked back at the still-pissed- off Alex and smiled at her. She gave me an eye roll and a sarcastic little grin.

We pulled in front of my mom’s house and got out, and my brother Seth ran straight to me, throwing his arms around me in a giant hug. He surprised me. I thought he had always been angry with me for causing him to change. I had always hated myself for that. But, I guess he had forgiven me, I hoped at least he had. I hugged him back for a second then I turned around and introduced my family to my brother.

“Seth, this is Steve and Alexandra,” I told him, my voice full of pride for my new family. Before he could say one word Alex finally spoke.

“I go by Alex,” she said. Seth smiled at her then me.

“Okay Alex, you all come with me.” He started to walk into the house. I could smell the food before I went through the front door. I really had missed my mom’s cooking.

She told us to put our bags down and eat first. So that’s what we did. Alex ran right over to my mom and called her grandma again and there in her eyes was the light once more. After my mom let go of Alex, she came over to me and hugged me, then Steve. After dinner my mom showed us where we all would be sleeping. Seth had graciously given up his room for the week so that Alex could sleep in his room. Steve and I would be sleeping in my old room.

We took our bags up to our rooms and decided to spend some time getting caught up, it had been a long time since I had seen my brother. I had to warn him that Steve didn’t know about the whole wolf thing. My mom already knew that I didn’t tell him, I had told her when she had come to our house. Alex came down the stairs and said she was going to go for a walk. Seth had asked her if she wanted a tour and they both had rolled their eyes when he said this. She walked out the door, but I wasn’t worried. There wasn’t much she could do around here to get into trouble.

We sat there for a while talking about what each of us were doing and how we had been. Seth told me that he was working with Quil at his shop sometimes. He told us about how much he liked it, and then surprised me by telling me he was getting ready to start college soon. I was so excited for him. He seemed to be happy, but it was like something was missing in his life. I could see it and I knew my mom could too.

“Leah, do you mind if I call Emily and let her know you are here. She asked me if I would call her as soon as you got here.” I smiled at her.

“Go ahead mom, I would love to see Emily,” I told her. She eyed me carefully for a minute then went to make her call.

Within minutes there was a knock on the door. I guess I must have gotten a little jittery because Steve scooted closer to me and took my hand in his. He squeezed my hand and rubbed circles on my skin with the soft pad of his thumb. Emily walked into the living room where we all were sitting. I could still hear my mom talking to Sam. I smiled at Emily and went over to hug her, which was a little hard to do, as she was six months pregnant with her new daughter. After I pulled away and congratulated her, I finally saw Sam. He just stood there looking at me.

“Hello Sam. How are you?” I asked.

“I’m great Leah and you?” I smiled. It was like he was trying not to upset me. Before I left it was like this, if he had to talk to me, he was very careful. He had always talked to me in a monotone voice. He never showed any emotion around me.

“I’m great Sam. I’m happy and in love. And I’m getting married. Why don’t you two have a seat,” I told him. He smiled at me and Emily came back over to me and hugged me, then they both took their seats.

“Then I think congratulations to you are in order as well,” Emily said. I rolled my eyes at her.

“I wish Alex would have stayed around just a little bit longer, so you could have met her,” I said.

“Whose Alex?” Emily asked, while giving me the death look. I laughed at her, I really had missed my cousin.

“She’s Steve’s daughter, but I count her as my own. She’s great. She’s ten and really pissed at us right now for making her come here. She didn’t want to leave her boyfriend.”

“Wow, Leah… a soon-to-be husband and a daughter, you need to call more often,” she replied easily with a small smile.

I wondered where she went off too. There weren’t many places she could go around here. Maybe she was on the beach. I hope she didn’t go too far.

“Hey Seth, could you maybe go try to find her for me?” I asked.

“Sure, be right back,” he said, then he walked out the door.

“So Emily how have you been?” I asked.

We sat there making small talk for awhile. It was starting to get late and Seth and Alex hadn’t come back yet and I was starting to get a little worried. We all said our goodbyes and then Alex walked through the door. She apologized for being gone so long, she was talking to someone and lost track of time.

“Who was it you were talking to?” I asked.

“Some boy, his name was Liam,” she told us.

Emily and Sam smiled at each other. Then it hit me. Lyam was Sam and Emily’s son. That’s when Seth came in; he had been looking for her and found her down at the beach with Liam and had asked Liam to walk her home. Then Seth gave Sam a weird look. I didn’t even want to know what kind of wolf business it was about. I wasn’t a wolf any more, it was none of my business.

I told Alex to go get ready for bed and she headed up the stairs. I told Sam and Emily goodnight again and Emily told me to come over in the morning and we could sit down and have some girl time. I told her I would love that. They left and headed home. I headed back towards the living room and told my mom good night. I looked over at Steve and he stood up and headed to the stairs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More