Blogroll

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, February 28, 2011

Picking Up My Broken Pieces (One Shot)



Okay this is the one shot I had in a contest on another site...I hope you all enjoy it, but please don't cry too much...thats right this one has a major TISSUE ALERT!

I loved writing this one and had wanted to write it for a long time. My brother is a Marine and I know first hand what the family goes through.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Twilight Characters. I just love to play with them....





 
 
Picking up my Broken Pieces
 


As we walked hand and hand over to the bus that was taking him away from me for god knows how long, I couldn’t say anything to him. Not an I love you, be safe, or anything. He was leaving me to go face an enemy that was fierce, one that would kill him, and they wouldn’t have a problems doing it. He was leaving me, his wife, to fight for his country.

Mike and I had been married for what seemed like a life time. We were high school sweet hearts, prom queen and king and all that crazy shit. Shit that didn’t mean anything now. Real life was no slapping me in the face. I was totally in a daze, an out of body like experience. I didn’t want to think about what was happening because if I really did, I would be in hysterics.

Mike was almost done with his time as a Marine, then 9/11 happened and now the love of my life was leaving me to go over and fight the bastards. What if he didn’t come back to me? What would I do?

I couldn’t think about that now, I had to put on a brave face for Mike and tell him to come home to me. I had to be the good military wife and be strong for him. I couldn’t break down here and let all his men see me break down. I had to let him know I love him and need him.

“I love you. I’ll write you like every day, I promise.” I said as the tears were streaking down my cheeks. He dried them with his thumbs and kissed my forehead. Lingering there for a few minutes then brushing his lips over my skin there down to the tip of my nose. “You have to come back to me.” I whispered.

“I will Bella I promise you, I will come back. I love you.” I closed my eyes and waited for his lips on mine. Once I felt them I moaned, I would miss his touch, his lips… I loved his hands and lips on my skin, I would even miss his dirty socks on the living room floor, the ones I yelled at him a million times to pick up and they are still there when I come back to clean.

He deepened the kiss, letting his tongue crease my bottom lip. I parted my lips and granted the entrance he was asking. Our tongues dancing to a divine tune that only he and I could hear.


Mike was always so gentle with me. He told me once that I looked like a porcelain doll and that’s how he always handled me. This kiss wasn’t that gentle, his lips turned rough, like he knew it was our last kiss, the last one we would have, but he promised he would come back to me…so I put that thought out of my head and kept on kissing him till they yelled that it was time to go.

I took in a shuddering breath as he pulled away, he kissed me one more time and hugged me closed to him. When he let go, it was like my shadow was ripped away from my very presence and taken from me. I just stood there staring at the bus watching him get on it and waving to me. I couldn’t even raise my arm to wave back to him. My very essence was gone. I was a hollow shell of what I was with him.

I stood there as he took his seat and looked at the window at me and smiled. The bus went completely out of sight, I was unable to move away from the very spot that he had left me. It started to poor down the rain and I still didn’t move. I was totally drenched from head to toe and freezing. Someone came up behind me and whispered into my ear.

“He’s gone Bella, you can’t stand out here like this. Come on….You have to move your going to get sick.” she pulled at my shoulders and I let her pull me around and towards the waiting car.

I didn’t say anything as she helped me in the car and got in after me, pushing me over to the other side of the seat. I turned my head and stared out the window at the spot that I had just been. Where he had just stood kissing me…touching me…loving me….leaving me. How was I supposed to go on without him here with me. With him over there…

I didn’t even realize I was home until Alice opened the door and tapped me on the shoulder. I turned towards her with tears still stuck in my eyes and looked back into my best friends eyes, asking questions with mine without saying a single word. She gave me that look that only your best friend can give you, the look that says I’m sorry but I have no idea the words to say to make it better.

I slowly exited the car and headed towards the house that held, so much of Mikes and my life. A house that we had bought a year before we got married. We had lived in a apartment together for two years prior to moving to our beautiful two story, four bedroom house. I stared at the front door unable to open it., my hand hovering over the door handle. I didn’t want to go into our house, Mike wouldn’t be there waiting for me to come home.

Alice came up behind me and placed her hand on mine and lowered both to the handle and turning it, as the door swung open the faint scent of his Ralph Lauren cologne hit me in the face stunning me. I stood there looking into my house seeing a vision of Mike sitting on the couch watching football fading into one of him heading up the stairs and towards our room this vision again morphing into another of him standing by our back patio doors. He was flashing every where, every once in a while one of these visions would turn and look right at me and smile.

Edward, one of Mikes and my best friends since we were in high school together, came up behind me and gently placed his hand on my back making me jump and the visions of my Mike evaporated into thin air. I looked up at Edward and whispered two words.

“I can’t.” He looked at me and then into the house, then reached down and placed his arms around the insides of my knees and he went to pick me up, so I wrapped my arms around his neck and he carried me into the house and up to my room.

Once there he gently placed me on my bed, I sat there for a minute and kicked my shoes off and then laid down pulling the covers over me. I turned over on my side and curled into a ball and all the emotions of the day hit me and I suddenly felt extremely tired.

“You look exhausted, get some sleep Bella.” Edward whispered. I nodded my head and that’s all I remember till the next morning, I don’t even think I dreamed of anything.

When I woke up the next morning, I slowly came to the realization that in fact he was gone now and that I was all alone. I sat there thinking about what Mike must be going through over there, and decided to be that brave military wife, get through this time with out him and be the strong woman that Mike thought I was. I got up out of bed, took a shower and got dressed. After my shower and getting dressed I headed downstairs. As I was walking down the stairs, I heard someone in my kitchen and I stooped down on the step, being very quiet, I headed down the stairs. That’s when I saw him standing by my sink doing my dishes.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

He whipped around with his smile plastered on his face, that goofy half smile that I had seen most of my life, most girls swooned over that smile, but I’ve never seen him that way, he was one of my best friends…he was just Edward to me. I had to smile at him though, his smile was contagious, I hat to give him that much.

He took a few steps away from the sink and the dirty dishes and headed towards the stove bringing a plate with him, he filled it with eggs and bacon, bringing it back and setting it in front of me.

“Eat Bella.”

I looked up into his eyes and saw nothing but love of a friend so I shook my head and ate every last bite. When I was done with the delicious breakfast he had prepared for me, he took the plate and cleaned it. I didn’t really know what to say or do at that point, he was being a great friend and I wasn’t even here, okay maybe physically I was but mentally I was over there with Mike.

I heard a knock on the door breaking the silence between Edward and me, I got up and went to get the door. When I opened the door Alice was standing there with shopping bags galore in her arms and more sitting on my porch. I just rolled my eyes and shook my head at her. It was so Ali, she was a total shopper…Mega shopper explained her better. When ever there was a sale she would buy the one item in every color the store had.

Edward and I helped her into the house with all the bags and took them into the living room. She had explained why she was at my house with all those bags and I was terrified by the first sentence that came out of her little pixie mouth.

“Bella we are going to give you a make over today. That’s why I have all these bags. So get your little butt upstairs and we can get started. I promise it will make you feel better.”

I went to tell her that I was in no mood for a make over that in all reality I wanted to do nothing but go back to bed and stay there till Mike came home. But I knew I couldn’t do that, I had my business to take care of, I had to just go on with life like he was here with me. But I still was shaking my head no when she put her hands on my shoulders and held me still for a minute.

“Bella listen, Mike asked us to take care of you while he is gone, he told us to make sure you take care of yourself and I think this is just what you need.”

So I spent the next several hours being powdered, smothered in lotion, hair curled then straighten when she didn’t like it, then hair sprayed. Then she put me in the prettiest blue sweater and jeans, I can give Ali credit she can pick out cloths, but I wasn’t really into it.

When she was done she mad me do the whole twirl around thing, she nodded in approval of the job well done. I looked at her as she ushered me out of my room and down the stairs. Edward was standing in the living room and staring at me as I descended the stairs. I felt the blush come to my checks. Tripping over my own two feet and being clumsy Bella, my nickname from Mike, I ended up at the bottom of the stairs on my ass faster than I could think of how it happened.

I closed my eyes and the tears came again. I was embarrassed and upset about Mike not being there to pick me up and put me back on my feet, the way he always would shaking his head and muttering something under his breath about clumsy Bella never being able to stay on her own two feet. Edward tried to help me up, but I pushed him off of me and got up running back up the stairs to my room.

They left me alone after that, to do what I wanted which was to just stay in my bed and be by myself. Plans to be the tough military wife abandoned after that moment. The next several days that is exactly what I did, stayed in bed not moving and not giving a fuck who knew it. After that I had to go back to work, well I really didn’t my employees could handle it but I thought it might help if I got back into the swing of my life or at least try anyways.

I own a book store in town called Bella’s Place, I loved it there, it was peaceful and beautiful. It had dark wood and dark wood bookcases, but the walls were a bright red. I always felt at home walking through those doors. Mike had bought the building for me right after we were married. He thought it would be a good thing for me to have a job that I loved and he thought this would help, it was something I loved and being around books always made me happy.

Helping others fall in love with books like me was a dream of mine since I was little. I loved books so much, to submerge myself into a good book could take me to another land where all this shit in my life would just float away down a river and come to a happy ending. Mike knew this and that is why he bought me my own store. I loved him so much for being able to do that for me. He used his money from joining the military to buy the building and put money in the account to get me all set up and started. He was amazing and loving.

I walked back to my office and sat down on my chair behind my desk. Turning on my computer, I hadn’t even thought to check my e-mails, maybe Mike had sent me something. Sure enough I got on to Yahoo and there it was a message from my Mike. I opened it and read it slowly then reread it again and again.

Bella,

I miss you so much, I hope you are okay. I asked Edward and Alice to take care of you and make sure you are okay, please don’t get mad at me for it. I needed to know you would be okay. Sorry if Ali is torturing you or something with cloths or a make over since I can so see her doing that.


I had to laugh at that part because she had done that to me. And had asked twice since then to do it again. I usually just rolled my eyes at her. We all had known each other since high school and he knew exactly how she was. After the short laugh I kept on reading.

God I miss you so much. Its been crazy around here Bells, guns going off in the middle of the night. I can’t tell you much. Listen I wont be able to be near a computer for a while. So I’ll just write you a few letters, make sure to keep an eye out for them.

I love you Bells, so much.
Mike



I hated he wouldn’t be able to e-mail me much now, but I had those letters to look forward too. I kept that thought in my head for the next few days, keeping an eye out for the first letter. It came about a week after the e-mail, it wasn’t a happy letter.

Mike had lost a friend that was standing right next to him, he could have been killed but someone saved him. He wasn’t handling it too well, I wrote back to him right away.



Mike,

I miss you so much, I’m so sorry about your friend. I wish I was there with you so I could hold you in my arms and kiss you and make sweet love to you. I just want to feel your arms around me. If I was there I would tell you that it all will be okay. But I’m not there with you, but I can tell you that I love you more than anything. Stop worrying about me, I’ll be okay, you just worry about yourself and come back to me. I’m trying to be strong for you, like you asked me to be. I actually went back to work so I guess that’s a good thing.

Alice did try to torture me, I laughed when I read that in your e-mail. She gave me one and I feel down the stairs, I know Clumsy Bella right. Our friends are trying to make me feel okay, but its hard, I miss you so much. I understand it’s something you had to do, but I wish you would have never joined the Marines. I know that’s probably wrong of me to say, but its how I feel. Its just that I miss you. Is there anything I can send you, do you need anything? I know I can send you things, I’ll send you anything you need just name it.

I best get back to work.

I love you Mike.

Bella.



The next several weeks went by and I got a letter from Mike every two or three days. It was almost like he was around me and it helped me to know how he was. But the date of the letters were always behind several weeks. He hadn’t lost anymore of his friends for that I was grateful. I prayed every night that he would be safe and that he wouldn’t lose anyone again.

I was getting up to head to work and I was doing really good. About six months after he left me, I was living a normal, well as normal as I could, life, then there was a knock on my door.

I went down the stairs and opened the door and there they were. Two Marines…they were standing on my porch in their dress blues, with glum faces and looking at me with those fake sorrow filled eyes. I just stood there staring at them, I couldn’t move…. couldn’t talk… couldn’t do anything but stare. They started talking, but I had no clue what they were saying nor did I want too.

I knew why they were here, I just wanted them to leave and let me be alone with my grief. Let me alone so I could cry and scream or throw something. It was their fault he was gone, they didn’t protect him, they didn’t take care of him like I would have, like I always had. At some point I totally lost eye contact with them and was staring at the floor, when I finally heard what one of them were saying.

“Mrs. Newton is there someone we can call for you?” I let a few tears flow down my face and quickly wiped them away with my hand. I shook my head no and shut the door on them.

I slid down the door and landed on my floor in a heap, curling into a ball and weeping. It couldn’t be true, it just couldn’t, he promised to come back to me, no he can’t be dead. He can’t be gone. NO! It has to be a mistake. I just got a letter from him yesterday, he said he was fine. That everything was chilling out around him and that he might get to come home soon. That he loved me and couldn’t wait to be home with me…

I laid there all night, not even sleeping. I stayed right there on the floor with the paper they gave me clutched in my hand, crumpling it up in a ball, wide awake all night. I was in a numbing daze and I was totally woken out of it by someone pounding on my door, it wasn’t just a someone it was two someone’s.

Edward and Alice was yelling for me, trying to get me to come to the door. Alice must have pulled out the key that Mike had given her, because after a few minutes, the door was trying to open. Pushing me out of the way, I got up and walked into the living room, while they opened the door all the way.

I walked over to the couch melting into the cushions. I still had the papers clutched in my hands. I watched as Alice and Edward eyeing me as they came over to where I was. When they made it to me, I tossed the paper towards their feet.

Edward bent down and picked it up and unwrinkled it . It only took him a second before he realized why I was acting the way I was. Within that second his face went from a worried look towards me to a knowing look then one of a grieving friend. I couldn’t look into his face at all after that, it was one of sorrow and I didn’t want to see his acceptance of the information. I wanted to fight the information, I wanted to forget it, NO I wanted to scream…yell….kick and scream again. I wanted and needed to forget that those Marines were at my door giving me the information that they did. They didn’t tell me that Mike was killed when a sniper hit his tank, that’s what I wanted, I wanted him to…

We all sit there in silence for a long time, no one knowing what to say or do. Edward was the first one to speak.

“Bella, have you called Mikes parents or did the military go over there too?” he asked. I had no idea what the fucking military did. The only thing I knew they did was get my husband killed. I just shook my head at him, he came over and knelt down in front of me. “Bells, let me handle everything okay? I’ll do it for you and Mike.” again all I could do was shake my head. He was a great friend for everything. But I still felt like they were wrong, there was nothing to handle, Mike wasn’t dead. I was trying my hardest to believe the lie, the one that said that he is alive, but realities a bitch and fighting against it is useless.

Alice came over to me and handed me something to take and a glass of water. I looked down at my hand and in it was my medication for depression. I knew it would put everything in a haze and I longed for that numb feeling so I threw the pills in my mouth and chugged the water down.

The next few days went by in a dream like state for me, I didn’t really see anything or feel anything. Edward true to form and what he promised took care of everything. All the funeral prep, getting relatives here, everything. Alice took care of dressing me and making sure I at least got out of bed.

The day of Mikes funeral, I was a mess that morning. I had already seen his body and knew he was indeed dead, I still tried to rationalize that it wasn’t him though. I sat on my bed in a navy blue Marc Jacobs dress, Mike would have loved it according to Alice. He always loved blue on me. She fixed my make up and my hair, helped me into my shoes and handed me my pills. Before I took them I looked at my best friend and let a tear drop slowly down my cheek.

“Alice I don’t want to say good bye to him. I can’t watch them put him in the ground. He’s…he’s really gone isn’t he?” She shook her head at me as more tears made their trail down my freshly powdered face.

I took the pills out of her hand and thanked her, welcoming the numbness again. I didn’t want to feel anymore pain today. I didn’t want to feel anything today.

Edward knocked on my door two seconds later, Alice telling him to come in. He was dressed in a black suite, fitted perfect to his body, but I barely even seen his face. I only knew what he was wearing because I heard Alice say something about it. He came over to me and hugged me and leaned down and kissed my head.

“Are you ready to go?” I just nodded no to him, I wasn’t really ready to do this. I went to sit back down on my bed but he stopped me whispering something in my ear. “You just lean on me the whole time Bella. I got you. I’ll get you through all of this.”

I looked up into his green eyes and shook my head yes and leaned into my best friend. He helped me out of my room, down the stairs and outside to the waiting limousine. We made it to the funeral home and I did what was supposed to be done by the wife of the deceased. I was the military wife, strong and brave, but crying out inside ‘why the fuck did I let him join.’ The funeral itself was beautiful, what I actually heard of it that is, I sat next to Edward the whole time, he never left my side. There was tons of Marines there and I knew a few but not all of them. I resented them really, they were here breathing…alive…Mike wasn’t.

When the actually funeral was over and it was time to go to the grave yard, I was plastered in place, I didn’t want to get out of the limo. Edward gave me the knowing look and whispered in my ear, ‘I’m right here, lean on me Bella, I got you remember.’ I looked at him again and did as he asked. He helped me out of the car and down to where the casket was already in the spot and ready. I sat down in a white chair staring at the casket that had his body, the body of my husband, and I couldn’t take my eyes away from the stars and strips of the American Flag that was draped over it. He died for his country for every person standing here mourning me. He died for me…

The numbness was wearing off and tears started to seep out of my eyes cascading down my face and onto my lap. I leaned over onto Edwards shoulder and felt like I could barely breath. The guns of the gun solute went off and with each one I jumped, my breath hitching each time. Edward held onto me as I cried into him as they folded the flag that had been on his casket, and handed it to me saying some bullshit that I paid no attention too. Then they lowered my husband into the ground. I stood there in Edwards arms watching as my life was lowered, little by little, inch by inch into the ground taking my life with it.

As it lowered I was watching flashes of our past flash in front of me. The day Mike and I met after I moved here, the day he asked me out on our first date, the day he asked me to marry him, our wedding…I didn’t know how to live without him. I took a step forward and made it to the whole as he hit the bottom. I looked down into the earth, where he was laid to rest and thoughts of jumping in there with him filled my mind. Edward came up beside me dragging those thoughts out of my mind. He placed his arms around me and hugged me close to him.

“Don’t even think about it Bella, your not leaving me too.” He said. It was like he could read my thoughts. He smiled. “Your thoughts have always been right there in your eyes, everything your thinking clear to me. I know you think you can’t go on without him, I understand. He was my best friend. But, he would go crazy if he knew what you were thinking right now, you know that. He would want you to go on with your life and live it to the fullest. You know that.”

As I stood there thinking about what he was saying I knew he was right, Mike would want me to go on live my life and be happy somehow, I just wasn’t sure how I was going to do that at the moment.

“We are both here for you, Alice and I, Alice is actually going to stay with you tonight is that okay?” he asked, I shook my head at him. He smiled that dazzling smile and he helped me head back towards the car. I stopped half way and ran back to the place where Mike was whispering my love to him.

“I love you, I will always love you. I’ll try to do what you would have wanted. I promise, I’ll try but its going to be so hard without you. I’ll love you till the day I die.”

I turned away from my love and headed towards my friend with tears running down my face and as I met him he bent down a little and kissed my head wrapping his arm around me bringing me into his side. We headed back to my house, everyone was there eating and talking about the funeral.

I went in and talked to a few more people really wanting all of them to leave so I could go to bed, but again I acted like the strong wife. Mikes mom was watching me like a hawk for some reason. His mother always got on my nerves. His dad on the other hand I loved. He came over and hugged me and told me what ever I needed to come to him and it would be taken care of. I nodded my head at him and headed back towards Edward.

I didn’t like being away from him. It felt to open, like everyone could see right through me when he wasn’t near. My dad Charlie stopping me. I hugged him fiercely for a minute, then pulling back from him and lying telling him I was okay. I looked around and couldn’t find Edward at all. My eyes scanning every where, when I couldn’t find him I felt a panic hit me and I made a run for it to my room. When I made it there I flung myself on the bed and cried and couldn’t stop. I felt so abandoned.

I heard someone down stairs, I think it was Alice, tell everyone it was time for everyone to leave. I heard all the cars leaving my drive way and I let out a sigh of relief. I let myself relax and breath.

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew it was morning. The sun coming through my window waking me up. Rubbing my eyes, I looked down and I was still in the dress from the funeral. I groaned and got up out of my bed and headed into my bathroom.

Stripping the dress off and getting into the shower, I let the hot water wash away all the soreness and hurt in my body from the most stressful day I had ever had in my life. I got out of the shower wrapping a towel around me and headed into my closet. I put on one of Mikes Marine hoodies and a pair of jeans. I deeply inhaled and I could smell him still around me, in my room there was traces of him every where.

I looked around for a minute and couldn’t stay in my room anymore. I flung my door open and headed down stairs and saw Alice coming out of my guest room. She smiled timidly at me and I hugged her and told her I was okay for now. We both headed down the stairs when we reached the bottom stair Edward was at the door. With a mild smiled for me as he came in. He had my mail and he acted like he didn’t want to give it to me. I reached for it and he pulled back.

“Edward give me my mail.” I said.

He handed it to me and as I looked down at he top of all the bills was a letter from Mike. Post marked four weeks ago. I stood there staring at it and eyes that I figured was cried out let tears drop out. I couldn’t take my tear filled eyes away from his name. I slowly dropped all the other envelopes and opened Mikes letter.

Bella,

Hey, I was sitting here thinking about home and you, when I remembered that your birthday is coming up so I wanted to wish you a happy birthday and tell you that your present will arrive on your day. I love you my Bella, never forget that okay! I love you more than I can explain in words, no words in the English …strike that, in any language there isn’t any words that can explain what you mean to me. You’re my whole world. I want you to go out on your birthday and celebrate it is a day to celebrate. Your birth is a miracle because that day gave me you. Don’t be sad on that day, promise me you wont be sad.

I love you, Happy birthday my love,

Mike


As I looked down at the words of his letter to me, I realized what day it was. The door bell rang next and Edward went to get it and talked to someone, I had no clue who because I was still staring at the words he had written on this piece of paper. Today was my birthday. He didn’t want me to be sad, tough chance at that happening but it was his wish to me. He said a gift was coming, I looked up at Edward and he was holding a box out to me. I grabbed the box and headed back towards my couch and sat down. I laid the letter down next to me and didn’t really want to take my eyes off of it. But I did for a second to open the box.

When I did I gasped. It was a smaller box inside a blue box, a box that most girls know. It was a box from tiffany’s it wasn’t square it was rectangular. I looked over at Alice and Edwards shocked faces and then back at the box and slowly opened it. It was a necklace with a diamond encrusted key pendant, it had a note in the box as well. It said. ‘Because you hold the key to my heart.’ I gently let my fingers graze the diamond key and couldn’t hold my emotions in check at all. Alice who was sitting next to me put her arm around me, letting me cry into her shoulder.

Edward came over and looked down in the box and picked something up I didn’t see. It was a back tape recorder, it had a sticky not tapped to it, it had the words ‘Play Me’ on the piece of paper. Edward hit the play button and Mikes voice filled my house.

‘Happy birthday my sweetheart. I love you and miss you like crazy. Wish I could be there to see your face as you opened your present, but Edward you better tell me how she looked. Alice I know you will tell me. I love you Bella. Remember I want you to go out tonight celebrate your birth. You are worth celebrating, even with me not there with you. I’m celebrating where ever I am right at this moment. Alice, you gussie her up and Edward you make the plans. I think maybe take her to Angelino’s for Dinner, she loves that place.

I love you Bella and will for the rest of my days. No I take that back, I will love you for eternity because even after I’m dead and gone I will still love you. I love you, I love you, I love you…sorry I can’t say that enough to you. I have to go love.’


I sat there waiting for someone to speak because I had no idea what to say or do at that moment, I really wanted to hear his voice again though. I looked down at the necklace and took it out of the box, I looked over at Edward and he took it from my hands and clasped it around my hair as I held it up for him. When he was done he let his hands rest on my shoulders for a second and said something that I didn’t even think about really.

“Well I guess I have plans to make.”

“What? What are you talking about?” I asked him.

“Well you heard him he told me to make plans for us tonight, he wants you to go out and celebrate your birthday and that’s what you are going to do.” He gave me this knowing look, like he knew I was going to protest which I must certainly was, I was in no way going to celebrate the day after my husbands funeral. I didn’t care if it was my birthday or not. “Bella, you don’t want to not do as he wished do you? He wanted you to do this.” He was right and I knew it. So I shook my head and Alice came up behind me and grabbed my hand.

“It will be fine Bella you’ll see. Lets go upstairs and figure out what you are going to wear.” I reached up and touched my beautiful necklace, taking a deep breath and followed her up the stairs.

She pulled out a blue spaghetti strap shirt, with black lace over the top with a simple slim jean. I put it on and let her work her magic. In the end I looked beautiful. Alice went and got dressed and we both headed down the stairs and out for my birthday.

I actually laughed that night, it felt weird to do it but good at the same time. I laughed at something Edward had said. It was something totally stupid, but I still laughed and I couldn’t stop. It made him smile too.

The next several months went by and I got three more letters from Mike, those letters were keeping me going. I got up every day, went to work, did my thing and got on with my life. I knew he was gone but I could actually live with out him. I was still leaning on Edward a lot, when something would come up and would remind me of Mike I would call Edward and he would come over and sit with me and talk. I knew so much about it now, things that I had never known. He would tell me stories about him and Mike and the stupid things they used to do together.

About a two more weeks went by and I hadn’t gotten another letter, so I figured there wouldn’t be anymore, but I was wrong. I was coming home from work on night and I grabbed my mail and there on top was a letter from him. I hurried up and called Edward, that was the habit now, when one came to me I would call him right away and he would come to my house and open it together. For some reason it was easier to open it with him around, it was almost like Edwards presence calmed me.

When he got to the house I was sitting on my couch and he let himself in like always. He came over and sat down next to me and took my hand and squeezed it.

“Okay Bella you know this could be the last one, the pervious one you got was from the day before he died.” I looked into his eyes and nodded my head, instant dread filling my body. This would be the last one, I could feel it. I slowly opened it and unfolded the creases of the thick paper. This one was several pages long. As I read the letter the words that I knew were coming struck me harder then I thought they would. He knew he wasn’t coming back to me. I read the letter out loud this time, something I normally wouldn’t do.

My dearest Bella,

I hate to write this letter, Im actually very scared to write this letter. I am going out on patrol today and I have this terrible feeling of dread and defeat. I know deep down that I must break a promise I made to you and for that I am truly sorry. I’m not going to be able to come home to you. I must say goodbye to you Bella. I love you Bella and have for longer then you even know.

That first day in ninth grade, the day that you moved back here to live with your dad, well that was the day I feel in love with you. You looked so strong but I could see it in your eyes you were scared to death. You came into the class I was in and went right up to the teacher handing him the slip to sign, he told you to take a seat and fate would have it that you took the seat right behind me.

I could smell your strawberry shampoo from my seat and I never wanted to forget that smell. I remember you tripped over the leg of my chair and almost fell and you would have if I hadn’t caught you. You looked up at me with those beautiful eyes of yours and I was hooked. I never wanted to let you go again. I needed you in my life and I was going would fight for you if I had too. I wanted you all to myself. But as I recall Edward picked up your books and introduced himself to you first. I was furious with him, put it this way we got in a huge fight that day after school.


I looked up at Edward and he smiled and nodded his head.

“He yelled at me and said you were going to be his, no matter what he had to do. I told him time and time again that I wouldn’t do anything to mess it up but he didn’t believe me. He knew I liked you too.”

I was totally shocked at that statement I never knew Edward liked me. I had feelings for him back then too, but he all of the sudden had a girlfriend. I ended up with Mike, but for the longest time, I waited for a chance with Edward that chance never came though. I feel deeply in love with Mike and never thought of Edward like that again.

I looked back at the papers and continued to read.

But after everything Bella I got you. The love of my life. You are my wife and I never had to fight for you again. I loved our wedding day, it was the happiest day of my life. I watched as you walked down the isle in that beautiful white dress. Your eyes only on me, because you were obviously trying not to look at the others so you wouldn’t get nervous. I will hold the words you said to me in my heart forever. Never forget the ones I said to you. I cherish you my Bells just like I told you that day.

Now I’m losing you and your losing me. I don’t know how you are going to handle this and it scares the shit out of me. It makes me think back to the time when we thought I had cancer and you thought I was going to die. But it wasn’t cancer of course, still you freaked out and cried all the time and I hate to see you cry. I hate to think of you sad and not able to function. I love you Bella and I don’t want you to be like that.

I want you to go on with your life Bella, I want you to live. I want you to go for your dreams. I want you to be you and never forget who you are. You are my Bella, strong, loving, kind, compassionate, deep, smart, tender, and of course clumsy. Sorry I had to add that part. You know I love that about you, it makes you who you are, never forget that. You are my everything, but I want you to do me a favor, when the time comes…I want you to let someone love you. I want you to open your heart to someone else. I want you to grow old with someone you love and have kids with someone who loves you too.

Promise me Bella, Promise me to do what I ask of you. I know it will be hard and you will be your stubborn self, but do this for me. Live Bella, Live for me. I love you my sweet Bella, my wife. It was an honor to love you and an honor to be your husband.

Stay strong, my love.

Love,
Mike



I looked from the words on the paper back up to Edward and couldn’t hold in the sobs that wracked my chest. I used my best friend to lean on again as the shuddering sobs broke over and over.

“I can’t….do what…he wants me to…do Edward…I can’t love….again. I just…can’t. I’ll never love another.” I stuttered out between sobs.

“I know Bella I know.” he said to me rocking me back and forth.
I stayed in Edwards arms for a long time. Barely aware of anything, just sitting there, when his phone rang.

It was an important call he had to take, he apologized for a minute even though I told him he didn’t need too and he went into the other room to talk. I sat there, then went across the living room and into a room that I hadn’t been into since he left.

I opened the door to Mikes office and stood there for a few minutes, staring at his big black leather chair that was safely secured behind his desk. I went over to the desk running my fingers over the top of the chair. On his desk set pictures of us together, us on our wedding day, us the day we graduated, even our senior prom picture was in here. I remember every one of those days in perfect clarity, I could see how much he truly loved me in those pictures and I realized how lucky I was to have someone like him.

I would do what he asked of me, I could do it. I would survive my life without him and try to move on. I would be strong and if love came around again for me, if it was meant to be for me, then I would try to open up and let it in. It was the most I could give him now. I made my mind up that day in his office and I never looked back.

It took me several years, six to be exact, to get on and live my life to the fullest but I did it, and do it every day. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think of him, but I live and went for my dreams. I now own twenty five book stores all over the United States of America. I give to all the charities I want too and well I’m happy with the way my life has turned out.

For the whole letting love in thing, well I did that too. Love came to me and I let this love walk in and take over, just like Mike asked me too do. Today is our wedding day and I’m the happiest I’ve been in a long time. Edward and I have been together for the past four years. It was weird at first for both of us, we both tried to fight it with all we had. I didn’t want to forget Mike and I felt so guilty for loving him the way I did. I feel hard and according to Edward he did too.

He was amazing and always there for me. Our love is so much different then my love was with Mike. Its stronger in a way, its like we are bonded through our losing Mike. There is almost this electricity between the two of us, I can always feel it when we are together and when we make love…oh… my…god…is it ever making love.

I never reached the heights I do with Edward that I did when I was with Mike. I still love Mike and I always will, but I have a greater love now, he is my soul mate I know that now. I think Mike might have known that too and I got proof of the last night.


Last night Edward said he had something he wanted to show me something before we got married. So he came over before the girls arrived for my bachlortette party, in his hand was an envelope one that I recognized right way as the kind that Mike used when he wrote me letters.

He handed me the letter and I looked from it to him and tears started to flow right way. Edward pulled me into him and held me for a few, then kissed my head like he always did.

“Open it Bella. I think you need to read this.”

I nodded my head and looked back down at the letter opening it up slowly. I took the paper in my hands and unfolded it. I took a deep breath and took a seat on my couch.


Edward,

Listen man, if Bella knew I was writing this to you, she would rip my head off. But, I want to make sure she is taken care of. I don’t think I’m going to be making it back to her and that scares the shit out of me man. I need to know that she will be okay. I need to know that you will take care of her. I want you to love her, I know you still love her, I know deep down you always have. She’s going to be broken Edward, I don’t want to think of her like this, but she will be. I want her to pick herself up and live, only you will be there to make her do this for herself.

I’m writing her a letter telling her what I want, leaving you out of it of course, but I’m going to tell her if love comes her way to open up and let it in. The thing is I want to know that you are that love. I want her to be with you, to love you and grow old with her. Give her everything she wants and needs, give her the kids she wants. But you must do me one favor, make sure she don’t forget me. I love her Edward, you know how much I love her. Please do this much for me. As a friend take care of my wife.

Mike…



As I read Mikes last wishes, what he asked Edward to do, I only had one thought cross my mind and I knew it was stupid to think it but I had to ask. Before I could even open my mouth though he was already answering it for me.

“No Bella, I don’t love you because he told me too, I love you just because well because I do. It just happened and I’m thankful that it did, I’m the luckiest man on the planet to have you in my life and love me. Before we say I do tomorrow, I thought you needed to know that this is what he wanted. He would be happy Bella, He is okay with this. I could see it in your eyes that you’ve been worried about what he would think about it, that’s why I showed you this.”



With all my doubt washed away by Mike I married Edward the next day. Even with Mike being gone he saved me, by loving me. He helped me pick up the broken pieces of my life and he put them back together again.




(so what did you think? Did you cry? Let me know!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More